COVID-19 Resources for Delaware County, PA

Last Updated July 17, 2020

Have resources that should be added to these lists? Please send them to

Interested in volunteering to help with the COVID-19 crisis in Delaware County? The Citizen Corps of Delaware County is looking for volunteers.

Resources from Delaware County government agencies

There are two numbers for residents to call for COVID-19 related resources and questions:

  • 610-344-6225 – the Chester County Health Department Hotline (Monday-Sunday 8:30am-4:30pm)
  • 1-800-722-7112 – the Greater Philadelphia Coronavirus Helpline (24/7). 

Residents should register for the DelcoAlert notification system for information and alerts related to emergencies.

Phased Re-opening

The Governor’s Office has issued a phased re-opening of the state. As of July 1, Delaware County is in the green phase. Restrictions during the green phase include:

  • Prohibitions on gatherings of more than 250 people.
  • Masks are required in businesses.
  • Restaurants and bars can be open at 50% occupancy.
  • Personal care services (e.g., hair salons and barbershops) can be open at 50% occupancy and by appointment only.
  • Indoor recreation, health and wellness facilities, and personal care services (e.g., spas and gyms) can be open at 50% occupancy with appointments strongly encouraged.
  • All entertainment (e.g., casinos, theaters, and shopping malls) can open at 50% of occupancy.
  • Child care may open in compliance with guidance. 
  • Prison and hospital restrictions are determined by individual facilities.
  • Telework is strongly encouraged.

While most counties are now in the “green phase,” the Governor could change which phase counties are in depending on the number of COVID-19 cases. It is important to monitor the state dashboard for changes.

Public Transportation

SEPTA riders are asked to wear masks on all transportation lines. SEPTA is providing updates on its website daily.

Health-related resources

On March 19, 2020, the Delaware County and Chester County entered into an agreement to allow the Chester County Health Department to lead Delaware County’s COVID-19 response.

The Delaware County Government Center will be closed to the public March 23 -March 27. Delaware County residents seeking COVID-19 resources and information can call the Chester County Health Department Hotline at 610-344-6225 from 8:30-4:30pm seven days weekly. Residents can also call the Greater Philadelphia Coronavirus Helpline 24 hours a day, seven days weekly at 800-722-7112.

Guidance on homemade masks from the PA Department of Health.

Resources for families with young children

Women’s Infants & Children (WIC)

WIC is still accepting new participants. If you would like to apply for benefits please call 484-471-3320.

ALL Delaware County WIC Offices are closed to the public until further notice. WIC office staff will begin issuing all benefits via mail and calling participants to collect intake information so that benefits can be mailed. Clients will be directed to call the clinic where they participate:

  • Springfield Clinic 484-479-3086
  • Eddystone Clinic 484-480-8800
  • Upper Darby Clinic 610-713-5800

Resources for people experiencing intimate partner violence or abuse

  • The Domestic Abuse Project of Delaware County‘s office is currently closed through; however, their 24/7 hotline is open at 610-565-4590.
  • The Delaware County Women Against Rape and Crime Victims Services’ office is currently closed; however, their 24/7 hotline is open at 610-566-4342. Additional services can be reached at:
    • Victims of Other Serious Crimes 610-566-4386
    • Crime Victims Law Project 610-566-6463

Resources for people in recovery

Behavioral health resources

  • Pennsylvania Statewide Support and Referral Hotline is available at 1-855-284-2494, For TTY, dial 724-631-5600.
  • The PA Crisis Text Line is available 24/7 by texting “PA” to 741741. Services are confidential and free.
  • The Delaware County Crisis Connections Team Warm Line is available at 855-464-9342. The Warm Line is staffed by Certified Peer Specialists to support individuals with mental health and emotional challenges.
  • The Delaware County Crisis Connections Team Mobile Crisis Serviceis available at 855-889-7827 24/7. The Mobile Crisis Service provides crisis response, on-site mobile crisis assessment, and referral services.
  • Delaware County suicide prevention resources (Prevent Suicide PA)

Public benefits and income supports

On May 8, the PA Department of Human Services announced a new program to provide emergency assistance to families who lost income due to COVID-19. Individuals must apply by July 12.

  • Program eligibility is limited to families with a child under the age of 18 or a woman who is currently
  • To qualify, families must have at least one person in the household who was employed as of March 11, 2020 and experienced an hour or wage reduction of at least 50 percent for two weeks or more or lost employment entirely due to the public health crisis.
  • Families must meet income limits of 150 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines and have no more than $1,000 in a savings or checking account.
  • To apply visit Compass.

If you have lost your job, or have had a reduction in your hours, you may be eligible for SNAP (“food stamp”), Medicaid (“Medical Assistance”), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (“TANF” or “cash assistance”) or heating bill assistance (LIHEAP). You can apply for benefits through Compass. The County Assistance Offices are currently closed to the public, but they are accepting applications. If you already receive these benefits, but you’ve lost income, you may be eligible for an increase in SNAP or TANF. Because the County Assistance Offices are closed to the public, you should submit information about a change in income in one of the following ways:

Some people and families may also qualify for temporary cash assistance through the TANF Diversion payment program.

Telephone health insurance enrollment helplines

Food assistance

School district food access locations for students:

Food banks and pantries:


  • Governor Tom Wolf announced a statewide prohibition on evictions through August 31. No eviction hearing will be heard in Pennsylvania until September 2.
  • Rental and mortgage assistance through the CARES Act is available to applicants beginning July 6. Delaware County is collaborating with Community
    Action Agency of Delaware County (CAADC) to process applications for rental
    assistance. CAADC can be reached at (610) 874 – 8451. 
  • Beginning June 1, Delaware County courts are operating on a limited, staggered basis. Please check the Delaware County Court of Common Pleas website for updates.
  • If your landlord changes your locks, takes your possessions, or cuts off your utilities, the Tenant Union Representative Network (TURN) provides the following advice:
    • “Call 911 and report an illegal self-help eviction to the police.
      • If your landlord is still on site and the illegal eviction is still in progress, an officer may be dispatched to assist you.
      • If your landlord is not still on site, you should make a police report. Make sure you write down the DC number so you can request a copy later.
      • You can ask the police for other assistance, like calling your landlord.
  • Family &Community Service of Delaware County
  • Delaware County Department of Human Services
  • All evictions and foreclosures on HUD-backed properties have been suspended until the end of July 24, 2020.
  • Beginning March 27, there’s also a federal eviction moratorium for 120 days on the filing of any new evictions against tenants in any type of federally-related subsidized housing, including LIHTC and Housing Choice Voucher Programs (including “Section 8 housing”).
  • Tenants are still required to pay rent during the COVID19 crisis. If tenants cannot pay rent during the COVID-19 they should immediately let landlords know in writing that they will not be able to pay rent due to being impacted or affected by the pandemic.


  • LIHEAP Recovery Crisis Program
    • The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is accepting application between May 18, 2020 through August 31, 2020 for individuals who need assistance with paying utility bills. Types of assistance offered include:
      • Crisis Applications — The 2019-2020 Crisis maximum benefit has been increased to $800. Any LIHEAP Crisis-eligible household, including those that met the previous maximum of $600, would be eligible for a Crisis grant under this program.
      • Supplemental Benefits — Many households who received a LIHEAP Crisis payment during the regular LIHEAP season will receive a one-time issuance of $100. This payment will be sent to the vendor that received their most recent LIHEAP payment. Households who receive this issuance will be notified by mail. This $100 issuance will count towards the new maximum Crisis benefit amount for the household. This benefit will be issued automatically and no application is needed.
    • Visit Compass to apply for the crisis grant or paper applications are available online.
  • PECO has suspended shut offs and is waiving fees through July 1, 2020 due to COVID-19. PECO is also offering assistance programs to individuals facing hardship. Individuals seeking assistance should contact PECO Customer Care as soon as possible by calling 800-494-4000.
  • Comcast is offering 60 days of free of Comcast Internet Essentials to new customers who apply before December 31, 2020. 
  • Comcast will not disconnect customers’ internet service or assess late fees. Customers must contact Comcast and choose a new billing date at

Legal services

  • Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (LASP) is temporarily canceling walk-in intake appointments at their offices. They will continue to take applications for civil legal services by phone at 877-429-5994 (Monday through Friday 9am to 1pm) or online.
  • The Delaware County Senior Law Center office is currently closed; however, all of their staff are working remotely. Call 610-910-0215 for services.
  • The Domestic Abuse Project of Delaware County‘s office is currently closed; however, their 24/7 hotline is open at 610-565-4590. They do assist with filing protection from abuse orders.
  • The Delaware County Women Against Rape and Crime Victims Services’ office is currently closed; however, you can reach their Crime Victims Law Project at 610-566-6463.
  • HIAS Pennsylvania provides legal representation to immigrants who meet their eligibility criteria. Call 215-832-0900 Wednesday 9:30am-12pm or Thursday 2pm-4pm to be included on their intake list.
  • Community Legal Services of Philadelphia provides information for immigrants during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Free tax preparation

Free, virtual tax preparation is available for low-income families through the Campaign for Working Families at Once there, verify your identity, answer some required questions, and upload your tax documents.

People with families or friends in state prison

The Pennsylvania DOC has suspended all visits indefinitely. Only staff, vendors and contractors will be allowed to enter any of the state prisons, pending the results of a screening. The DOC has begun video visitation in place of face-to-face visits.

The Pennsylvania Prison Society provides updated information on COVID-19 in Pennsylvania prisons, including frequently asked questions and disease tracking.

Funding for non-profit organizations

The Foundation for Delaware County (TFDC) has established a Response Fund for non-profit organizations serving Delaware County during the COVID-19 crisis.

TFDC is considering three funding priority levels:

(1) Front Line Grants: funding for community-based nonprofits that have increased demand for services due to COVID-19. These nonprofits have deep roots in community and a strong track-record serving people who are immediately and disproportionately suffering from this crisis. Examples of the types of nonprofits in most need: community-based health clinics, food pantries, organizations that support seniors, meal delivery programs, homelessness programs.

(2) Service-Challenged Grants: funding for nonprofits that are modifying their in-person service delivery modes due to COVID-19 and need assistance to do so.

(3) Long-Term Recovery Grants: funding for nonprofits facing extreme difficulty due to lost revenue from closures and cancellations, as well as other challenges.

Questions about the fund should be directed to Mischico Warren at or 610-744-1016.